Loading....

Natalia Rachel Radwan-Richard - Designer for N3R

Late on a very cold Thursday this past September, it was with great eagerness that I met with Natalia, an up and coming designer now based in Montreal for the last few years. Meeting with her felt like meeting with an old friend. It did not take us too long before discussing our personal lives, passions and dreams. With such a refreshing personality, I had to stop myself, put on my blogger gear on and get back to the matter at hand. What is N3R all about?



Farline: Why N3R?
N3R: N3R is first of all for the obvious, my name Natalia Rachel Radwan-Richard. But there is also a deeper meaning to the name of my brand. Recycle, Re-use and Reduce. Those three words really express the direction I want my current and future collections to take. One of the most important things when I create is to the use of the fabric. I really care about the environment and believe that there are so many ways to look fabulous while remaining socially conscious and fashionably ethical.

With a collection entirely designed and made here in Montreal, Natalia uses the services of a seamstress to bring her creations to life. The African wax print being the main fabric use, the designer take great joy in introduce or re-introducing the fabric to her customers.  “Don’t get me wrong” she says, “every single one of the fabric I hand pick is done is a very conscious way. While the wax material might be easy to find, I always make sure that the ones I chose are not part/ involved in any political or religious war.”


F: Your brand slogan is: Make Wax Not War. What is the idea behind it?
N3R: Right now, the reality is that there are all kinds of religious and political wars in our world. With this slogan, I try to encourage people to come together and to see beyond that. When I say make wax not war, I am not only talking about wax but about all of those other folkloric materials. It’s simply a metaphor... Let’s see passed our differences, let’s get together and create a united world. That is the message my brand is trying to convey.


F: How did your designer career started?
N3R:  For as long as I can remember, I have been on the look for different and original pieces of quality. Because I could not find what I wanted and also because what I wanted was way to pricey, it simply dawned to me, why not just create what I want to wear?


 Nothing is lost , nothing is created , everything is transformed - Antoine Lavoisie 




 F: How does recycling come into the mix of creating for you?
N3R: I enjoy taking a piece of clothing in good condition, that has not been worn in a while, and give it a second life. It is amazing how you can take to an all-new level, something as simple as skirt into a little vest for instance. With imagination, there are no limits!







F: The N3R collection, mainly consist of vest right now. Why is that?
N3R: To me, a vest completes any type of outfit.  Depending on the style its style, the color and the fabric chosen, it simply adds a little extra to a final look. It polishes it. I started designing a few here and there for me and all of a sudden my friends were asking me to make them one. Eventually, friends of friends did as well.



F: Where does your strong philosophy of buying local come from?
N3R: In my opinion, buying is voting. Our society needs to be more responsible when consuming. I am not trying to convince anyone to never buy outside of Quebec. That would be crazy! However, if it is also made here why not support where we come from and just buy local?


F: Besides working on your fall/winter collection, what other projects are you on?
N3R: I want to venture on other folkloric materials and also work with biologic fabrics. I want to take them out of their shadow and make them a little more mainstream. It would be nice to see the official Polish fabric be worn with jeans ans sneakers here in Quebec.  I am also focusing on my spring summer collection.



I am no fortune-teller, but one thing is certain, Natalia has great charisma and  and an even  greater talent. Her current collection can be bought by clicking right hereMake sure to follow N3R on Instagram and on Facebook.









I want to say thank you to Natalia and great success to N3R. Keep up your fantastic work!


Xoxo


What is wax material: Click here to learn all about it.

Note: All Pictures by N3R


Comments
No comments