Loading....


They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well after hearing what Patricia Field had to say about her career in the fashion industry as a costume designer, shop owner, designer and stylist I must say that I aspire to be just like her. Not by copying what she did, because there will never be another Patricia Field, but just like her I thrive to live my passion to the fullest, to excel at what comes easily and naturally to me and to be happy while doing it.



The woman

This woman speaks from the heart and nothing ever felt rehearsed during the conference. She spoke about what she experienced while hanging around at her mother’s shop what she took from it.

“As a child you don't know that what you are learning is what you are learning. It's simply organic.”

Wow… beautifully and simply said. Perhaps I can relate because I to work as a stylist but more so because similar to her, I was exposed to fashion, art and music at a very young age. First from my mother using her sewing machine, adjusting our clothes and from her sense of style. And then, from my father marvellously playing the saxophone almost every day for as long as I can remember. What I got from this small statement from Patricia is that we are good at doing a particular thing because we made it ours, because we are passionate about it. However, we must not forget that being exposed to whatever it might be at a tender age thought us and guided us to that very special it. 




The Artist and Her Art (because yes fashion is an art)

Patricia bluntly informed us that when it comes to fashion, to what someone may consider beautiful, the label should not be part of that person’s thought process. One must not look for a designer brand to feel good and confident about themselves.

“Yes designers do create beautiful and inspiring things. But they are not here to tell me how I should or not wear something. I sometimes feel like a horse with blindfold because I am doing me. No one dictates what my sense of style is supposed to be. By being me I can grow and offer more to my surroundings and to the world.”

She also went on saying that we must have fun with fashion and not be embarrassed by it. They are no set rules really, and not out of this world closet is required, just a few good classics. Snobs sometimes belittle fashion without thinking that it is fun and uplifting when the art of fashion is not taken too seriously. Fashion is a positive communicative art. It is not frivolous and when it is frivolous it because it was needed to be.



The Professional Advisor

That hour spent listening to Patricia was a well spent hour and will definitively stay engraved in my mind. What the stylist in me got from this is the following:

You have to know someone to dress someone it's a very personal thing. Get no more about the person you are working for, that is trusting his or her style to you. When you are a costume designer it is also similar, you are hired to dress the character but you must also understand the real person.  The job then becomes putting both, the character and actor together. Do your research, read the script get to learn the person. Do don't just trough things at them because it is the new in thing. Make them feel comfortable so they can become the character. If they give you the chance to take care of their style, they are also giving you the opportunity that they can trust you. Never let that go away.

Thanks Patricia!

xoxo



Fun Quote from the Stylist

I don't like trends. They start adorable and become annoying. (So true)

Are you my long lost daughter? Jeez, I love your hair colour! (First thing she said when I introduce myself.How cool is that!) 



My Look




Don't I fit well with the art? Lol

Romper: Topshop

Purse: H&M

Shoes: Little Italian shoe make in Carrefour Angrignon

Comments
No comments